Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Fun in the High School Math Classroom!

Today, my kids are doing one of my absolute favorite activities...an I Love Lucy worksheet. I Love Lucy is my all-time favorite show on the planet. It is SUCH a classic. I have loved it since I was a little girl. I have made it one of my missions in life to have Lucille Ball's legacy live on...in my students. In order to incorporate it into my class, I had to relate it to math in some form, and that is how an I Love Lucy worksheet came to be.

Students answer 8 multiple choice math questions related to our current topic (ours being surface area and volume ratios/changing dimensions). Each correct multiple choice answer ALSO answers a question about a certain episode of the show. See the image below, the I Love Lucy currently being done in my classroom at this very moment:

Fun Math Activity

Now, here is the best part: I don't go over the answers when the students are done. Instead, we watch the episode that goes along with the worksheet and they check the answers based on what happens in the show. After the episode ends, we then go over correct answers and I go over any problems requested. My students are constantly asking for I Love Lucy worksheets, and believe it or not, they actually find a black and white television show funny!

There are a few caveats to this activity, however. I make SURE that each student shows work for each problem, or else they are NOT ALLOWED to watch the episode. I will not accept just circled answers. I also only do I Love Lucy worksheets once a month. It gives my students something to look forward to, but also I don't want to take too much time out of class to be watching something that could be deemed "not math-related" by some.
Fun Math ActivityFun Math Activity

Fun Math Activity

Click here for the entire worksheet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Classroom Organization: Table Supply Tubs!

Yes! We color and cut in a high school Geometry class! I use color and cutting techniques in my class fairly often for things such as: cod...